Madam Kwan’s is a dining establishment in Malaysia popular for its Nasi Lemak and other delightful local cuisines, including tastes of Penang, Melaka, Portuguese and Malay. It was founded by Kwan Swee Lian in 1977.
Is Madam Kwan’s halal? The answer is no. Madam Kwan’s does not have a halal certificate from JAKIM. It implies that the establishment’s culinary practices and food preparation processes have yet to be subjected to stringent validation procedures to ensure complete adherence to halal dietary laws. The halal status of Madam Kwan’s in Malaysia, particularly concerning certification from the Department of Islamic Development Malaysia (JAKIM), needs to be clarified.
Madam Kwan’s halal or not?
Is Madam Kwan halal?
No, Madam Kwan’s, the popular Malaysian restaurant, cannot be classified as halal as per the information available from the Department of Islamic Development Malaysia (JAKIM).
JAKIM maintains a comprehensive Halal Malaysia Directory at halal.gov.my, a reliable resource that lists all establishments certified as halal in Malaysia. Regrettably, Madam Kwan’s is not listed in this directory, indicating that it does not meet the stringent halal requirements set by JAKIM.
Does Madam Kwan’s have halal certificate from JAKIM?
No, Madam Kwan’s does not currently hold a halal certificate from the Department of Islamic Development Malaysia (JAKIM). This implies that the establishment’s culinary practices and food preparation processes have not been subjected to the stringent validation procedures required to ensure complete adherence to halal dietary laws. Despite the restaurant’s reputation and popularity, without this certification, the assurance of its food being halal remains uncertain.
The absence of the halal JAKIM certificate does not necessarily imply that the food served is non-halal, but it certainly indicates that the restaurant has not undergone the rigorous certification process to verify that every ingredient used and each preparation method fully adheres to the halal standards set forth by JAKIM. Hence, for those who strictly follow halal dietary regulations, this could be a significant consideration when choosing dining options at Madam Kwan’s.
How to verify the halal status of Madam Kwan’s?
To verify the halal status of Madam Kwan’s, you can follow these steps:
- Open the Website: Start by opening the JAKIM’s Halal Malaysia Directory website at halal.gov.my. This is the official website for halal certification in Malaysia.
- Navigate to the ‘Verify Halal Status’ Option: Once you are on the website, look for a search bar or option that says ‘Verify Halal Status’. This bar is typically found on the home page or under a menu tab.
- Enter the Restaurant Name: In the ‘Verify Halal Status’ search bar, type in ‘Madam Kwan’s’. Make sure that you spell the name correctly to get the correct results.
- Press Enter or Click Search: After entering the name, press the Enter key on your keyboard or click on the ‘Search’ button next to the search bar. This will initiate the search for the restaurant’s halal status.
- Review the Search Results: The results page will display the halal status of ‘Madam Kwan’s.’ Look for official proof of certification, the expiry date of the certification, and any other relevant information.
- Check for Updates Regularly: Halal certification can expire, and restaurants need to renew their certification periodically. So, it’s a good practice to check for updates regularly, especially if you plan to eat there often.
- Reach out for Confirmation: If you are unable to find the information online or if you have any doubts, you can reach out directly to both JAKIM and Madam Kwan’s. They should be able to provide you with the necessary confirmation.
Remember, it’s important to eat with confidence and peace of mind. Therefore, never hesitate to verify the halal status of any restaurant or food product you consume.
Does madam Kwan’s server alcohol?
Yes, Madam Kwan’s in Malaysia does serve alcohol. A local individual had expressed concern on social media upon discovering that Madam Kwan’s served alcohol. Following this, a representative from Madam Kwan’s clarified that while most of their ingredients are sourced from halal suppliers. But they still they serve alcoholic beverages. Hence, it prevents them from obtaining a halal certification.
The provision of alcoholic beverages at Madam Kwan’s has been a subject of public discourse, especially given the significant Muslim patronage at their outlets. The lack of a halal certification due to alcohol provision remains a barrier for some patrons. Hence, it confirms the non-halal status of Madam Kwan’s due to the presence of alcoholic beverages on the menu.
Why I must be careful about Madam Kwan’s halal status?
As a consumer, it’s crucial to have correct information about the halal status of restaurants, including Madam Kwan’s, a popular Malaysian eatery. Here are five reasons why you should be careful about Madam Kwan’s halal status:
- Religious Observance: If you’re a Muslim, consuming halal food is a fundamental aspect of your religious practice. Ensuring Madam Kwan’s food is halal certified respects your religious beliefs.
- Food Safety Standards: Halal certification often involves rigorous processes that ensure the food meets high safety standards. This can have an impact on the overall quality of food provided by Madam Kwan’s.
- Ethical Concerns: Halal guidelines don’t just relate to the type of food, but also to the ethical treatment of animals. Confirming the halal status can reassure you about the humane practices in food preparation.
- Understanding Food Content: Being aware of Madam Kwan’s halal status helps you understand the ingredients used in their dishes, which is essential if you are cautious about your dietary intake.
- Trust and Reputation: A valid halal certification improves a restaurant’s reputation among consumers. Ensuring Madam Kwan’s halal status can help maintain your trust in their service and food quality.
Madam Kwan’s menu and price in Malaysia
Here are some menu items and prices from Madam Kwan’s in Malaysia, as updated for the year 2023:
- Otak-Otak: RM27.90
- Chicken Satay: RM23.90
- Beef Satay: RM27.90
- Mixed Satay: RM27.90
- Madam’s Starter for 2: RM35.90
- Dumpling Soup: RM25.90
- Deep Fried Dumplings: RM25.90
- Deep-Fried Chicken Wings: RM21.90
- Fruit Rojak Without Soft Shell Crab: RM24.90
- Fruit Rojak With Soft Shell Crab: RM34.90
- Cream Of Mushroom Soup: RM15.90
- Garden Salad: RM17.90
- Nasi Lemak with Curry Chicken: RM25.90
- Nasi Lemak with Beef Rendang: RM27.90
- Nasi Bojari: RM35.90
- Petai Fried Rice: RM27.90
- Salted Fish Fried Rice: RM24.90
- Cantonese Fried Noodles: RM27.90
- Cantonese Fried Beef Noodles: RM27.90
- Char Kway Teow: RM27.90
- Stir-Fried Beef Noodles: RM27.90
- Curry Laksa: RM22.90
- Assam Laksa: RM22.90
- Sotong (Squid) Assam/Stir-Fried: RM35.90
- Pomfret Fish: RM185.00
- Tenggiri Fish (Mackerel) Pan-Fried: RM59.00
- Tenggiri Fish (Mackerel) Curry: RM71.00
- Assam Prawns: RM36.90
- Assam Fish Soup: RM42.90
- Madam’s Curry Fish Head: RM150.00
- Madam’s Assam Fish Head: RM150.00
- King Prawns: RM30.00
Chicken & Beef
- Curry Chicken (4 pieces): RM32.90
- Beef Rendang: RM22.90
- Fried Chicken Drumstick: RM16.90
- Wok-Fried Beef with Spring Onion & Ginger: RM32.90
- Kung Po Chicken: RM29.90
- Kung Po Beef: RM32.90
- Crispy Lemon Chicken: RM33.90
- Sweet & Sour (Chicken/Prawn/Fish): From RM30.90
List of Madam Kwan’s outlet in Malaysia
Here are some of the Madam Kwan’s outlets in Malaysia:
- 1 Utama Shopping Center
- 163 Retail Park
- Sunway Pyramid
- Empire Shopping Gallery
- Sky Avenue, Genting
- Shaftbury Square, Cyberjaya
- Seksyen 9, Shah Alam
- Pavilion Bukit Jalil
- IOI City Mall
- 2 Midvalley Southkey, Johor
- Imago Mall, Sabah
- ITCC Mall, Saba
You might want to visit the official Madam Kwan’s website to check the most current outlets.
How to contact Madam Kwan’s in Malaysia?
You can get in touch with Madam Kwan’s, a popular destination for Malaysian cuisine, through a variety of methods. If you wish to inquire about Madam Kwan halal status, make a reservation, or provide feedback, the restaurant makes it easy for you. Here’s a list of the common methods you can use to reach Madam Kwan’s:
- Website: Visit the official Madam Kwan’s website at https://www.madamkwans.com.my to get an overview of their menu, location, and more. While there isn’t a direct contact form on the site, gathering relevant information about the restaurant is a good starting point.
- Phone: Reach out to Madam Kwan’s directly by giving them a call. The direct line for their flagship outlet in KLCC is +60 3-2026 2297. Remember to consider the time difference if you’re calling from a different time zone.
- Address: If you’re in Malaysia, why not visit the restaurant in person? The address for the main branch is Lot 420/421, Level 4, Suria KLCC, 50088 Kuala Lumpur. They have several other locations throughout Malaysia, which are listed on their website.
- Email: For a more formal line of communication or to document your queries or feedback, email can be the preferred option. You can email Madam Kwan’s at [email protected].
- Social Media: Madam Kwan’s is active on social platforms like Facebook and Instagram. You can message them directly, or comment on their posts to get in touch. You can find them on Facebook under the handle @MadamKwans and on Instagram as @madamkwans.
- Online Food Delivery Services: Madam Kwan’s is also available on popular food delivery platforms in Malaysia like GrabFood and Foodpanda. You can place orders through these apps and also reach out for any specific instructions or complaints related to your order.
Remember, response times may vary depending on the method chosen. It’s advisable to allow a reasonable amount of time for a response, particularly for emails and social media direct messages.